Validity of post-marital separation agreement?

Asked over 1 year ago - Tracy, CA

If both spouses have a signed post-marital separation agreement that was drawn by a attorney, but is not notarized, is it valid? Both spouses voluntarily signed the agreement without any problems. Thank you.

1. Gregory Paul Benton

1

Answered . Post marital separation agreements are generally viewed with skepticism by courts. The issue is not whehter it was drawn up by an attorney, but whether there was full disclosure of informaiton and property issues by both parties and whether the agreement does not encourage divorce.

2. John C. Orcutt III

1

Answered . Has a divorce been filed? Are the parties seeking legal separation? Has a judge signed the post-marital separation agreement? Does that agreement encompass all the community and separate property belonging to the parties? Does it dispose of support issues? Child custody issues?

To constitute a valid judgment for either divorce or legal separation, it will need to be signed by a judge as part of a normal family law case. Most unrepresented litigants' signatures must be notarized for marital settlement agreements. This document is probably insufficient. I would strongly suggest you take the document to an attorney and consult with them on what additional steps may need to be taken.

3. Stephen Ross Cohen

Answered . It depends on disclosure, relative sophistication of the parties, whose attorney was it before, a lot of factors, consult an attorney and discuss this at length