Validating foreign divorce decree in USA

I recently got divorced in India. I have foreign divorce decree. Is foreign divorce valid in USA? How do I validate the decree in USA? How do I notify IRS and Immigration Services that I am divorced and that they should cancel my ex-spouse's H4 visa since that would no longer be valid now? Is there any other department that I need to notify about the divorce?

Kent, WA -

Bruce Clement

Bruce Clement

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Auburn, WA

Q: Is foreign divorce valid in USA? A: Probably, for an Indian decree. To be sure, you should consult an American attorney who is familiar with international divorce issues.

Q: How do I validate the decree in USA? A: There is a procedure for registering or validating a foreigh decree in the US. You should retain a family law attorney to interview you and explain your realistic options.

Q: How do I notify IRS and Immigration Services that I am divorced and that they should cancel my ex-spouse's H4 visa since that would no longer be valid now? A: You should ask an immigration attorney this question. A simple letter to the IRS and INS should suffice.

Q: Is there any other department that I need to notify about the divorce? A: You should make a list of all agencies in the US and India which carry records of the two of you as a married couple, and notify them; you can use a form letter to do so. The same should be done for private companies (like banks and credit cards) which have handled your individual or marital finances. Make sure you keep copies of your letters for each agency and company.

Hillary Johns

Hillary Johns

Family Law Attorney - San Diego, CA

I think that you have your responses in your previous question. Did you ask this in Olympia too? If you did, then you ought to consult with a family law lawyer who handles international law cases and perhaps and immigration lawyer. Don't take matters into your own handes. Get professional legal advice.