Validating foreign divorce decree in USA

Kent, WA |

I recently got divorced in India. I have foreign divorce decree. Is foreign divorce valid in USA? How do I validate the decree in USA? How do I notify IRS and Immigration Services that I am divorced and that they should cancel my ex-spouse's H4 visa since that would no longer be valid now? Is there any other department that I need to notify about the divorce?

Can someone comment on this ?

1. I think that you have your responses in your previous question. Did you ask this in Olympia too? If you did, then you ought to consult with a family law lawyer who handles international law cases and perhaps and immigration lawyer. Don't take matters into your own handes. Get professional legal advice.

Ms. Johns can be reached at her Woodland Hills and San Diego offices at (866) 402-4038. Her email is hjohns@hjohnsatlaw.com and her office does offer free telephone consultations to Avvo askers. Ms. Johns is a lawyer although she is not your lawyer unless you have consulted with her and signed a fee or letter agreement confirming her representation of you. This Avvo response does not otherwise create a binding attorney client fee agreement. Ms. Johns and her employees are not tax or financial advisors and do not give tax or financial advice of any kind. For such advice, it is recommended that you consult with a tax or financial professional in that field.

2. Q: Is foreign divorce valid in USA? A: Probably, for an Indian decree. To be sure, you should consult an American attorney who is familiar with international divorce issues.

Q: How do I validate the decree in USA? A: There is a procedure for registering or validating a foreigh decree in the US. You should retain a family law attorney to interview you and explain your realistic options.

Q: How do I notify IRS and Immigration Services that I am divorced and that they should cancel my ex-spouse's H4 visa since that would no longer be valid now? A: You should ask an immigration attorney this question. A simple letter to the IRS and INS should suffice.

Q: Is there any other department that I need to notify about the divorce? A: You should make a list of all agencies in the US and India which carry records of the two of you as a married couple, and notify them; you can use a form letter to do so. The same should be done for private companies (like banks and credit cards) which have handled your individual or marital finances. Make sure you keep copies of your letters for each agency and company.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes