Valid Visa On an Expired Passport

My passport is about to expire and I should depart the country on Jan next year, but my B1/B2 visa is still valid until July 2014. Can I re-enter the US using my new passport and staple my old passport with the US Visa page on it? I've been in the US for 8 months (after my I-539 approved) and about to apply for K1 visa. Thank you very much for your answer.

Yes, no problem.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Yes

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

You can travel with 2 passports, but I doubt they will let you in after filing for a K-1 Visa

Yes you can do that. The bigger issue is that once you declare you intent to live in the U.S. by filing for a K visa, you may not be allowed to reenter with your B visa.

Due to the nature of this forum, I often do not have all the information required to provide legal advice. Accordingly, my responses on Avvo are intended as general and not legal advice.

Recommended articles about Immigration