Vacating a judgment after bankruptcy

Asked about 2 years ago - Paterson, NJ

Which form do I need to file to vacate a judgment that was included in bankruptcy in NJ?

1. Stuart M Nachbar

Pro

Answered . Atorney Corbin is corect. I am an NJ Bankruptcy Counsel and Counselor Corbin explained it properly

2. Michael J Corbin

Answered . First, why would you need to vacate a judgment that was discharged in bankruptcy? It is now uncollectable, so there is no point in vacating it. Second, you are talking about 2 separate issues - vacating a judgment has to be done in the court that issued it, not with the bankruptcy court, and you'll need a reason other than it was discharged in bankruptcy.

3. Eric Charles Lewis

Answered . I agree with Attorney Corbin. You cannot vacate a judgment because of bankruptcy. The judgment is valid; it is simply unenforcable because it is subject to the bankruptcy discharge and permanent stay.