Utility bill in deceased person name

Asked over 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

my mother passed away in july of 2012 do I have to change any of utility bills we are in probate process now

1. Marian Audrey Lindquist

2

Answered . Utility companies generally only care that they get paid; however, down here in South Florida Florida Power and Light is generally the quickest company to be aware of a death and ask how the Personal Representative wants the account re-titled. Ask your probate lawyer if you have to change the utility bills.

2. Nishat Azam

1

Answered . I agree with Counsel. Usually the bills get titled to the Estate of the deceased until distribution of assets is finalized. You should speak to the Probate Attorney handling the Estate.

3. Lawrence Jay Davis

Pro

1

Answered . At this late juncture it is advisable to notify the utility companies and close any existing utility accounts. The accounts can be re-opened in the name of the Personal Representative and billed to the Estate.