Utility bill in deceased person name

Tampa, FL |

my mother passed away in july of 2012 do I have to change any of utility bills we are in probate process now

1. Utility companies generally only care that they get paid; however, down here in South Florida Florida Power and Light is generally the quickest company to be aware of a death and ask how the Personal Representative wants the account re-titled. Ask your probate lawyer if you have to change the utility bills.

The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice and the answer should not be construed to constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you'd like actual legal advice, call me at 954-567-4100. Also, if you liked this answer did, be sure to click the thumbs-up button

2. I agree with Counsel. Usually the bills get titled to the Estate of the deceased until distribution of assets is finalized. You should speak to the Probate Attorney handling the Estate.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

3. At this late juncture it is advisable to notify the utility companies and close any existing utility accounts. The accounts can be re-opened in the name of the Personal Representative and billed to the Estate.

Answers to questions on this site are not intended to be specific legal advice nor create an attorney-client relationship. Hiring an attorney is a very important process which requires a high degree of diligence as well as entering into an agreement regarding the services to be provided and the fees to be charged.

Wills and estates topics