USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Examination) and NBME (National Board of Medical Examiners)

Asked 7 months ago - New York, NY

I failed a step of USMLE (United States Medical License Exam) due to computer crash (needed to reboot the computer ) which affected my performance during the test, now I can not apply again for the test due to test multiple attempts limits, what is the specialty of the lawyer, I should be looking for. Thank you

Additional information

I am not sure what is the specialty of the attorney I have to look for

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Glenn Johnston

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . USMLE is for foreign certified doctors to get a US license. I am assuming that failing the test affects your immigration status. I recommend that you speak to an immigration attorney.

    As to failing the test due to computer problems, I don't think you would be able to sue the USMLE board, since the computers presumably worked for the testing purposes. If their equipment failed, then it is likely you would need to appeal to them and make a final determination that they would not let you retake before any lawsuit could be brought. However, I fail to see what remedy a lawsuit would bring you. What cause of action would you claim? That would determine what kind of attorney you would need.

    In this case, I do not see any.

    In any case, the tests are administered by prometric, and USMLE tells them how to handle such scenarios, so have you tried contacting USMLE and asking them what they can do about it? Your first step should not be to sue them.

    This does not constitute legal advice or the engagement of my services as an attorney.
  2. Michael J Palumbo


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A lawyer that practices administrative law.

  3. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Please carefully review their testing requirements. An administrative attorney could help you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,974 answers this week

2,881 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,974 answers this week

2,881 attorneys answering