USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Examination) and NBME (National Board of Medical Examiners)

Asked 7 months ago - New York, NY

I failed a step of USMLE (United States Medical License Exam) due to computer crash (needed to reboot the computer ) which affected my performance during the test, now I can not apply again for the test due to test multiple attempts limits, what is the specialty of the lawyer, I should be looking for. Thank you

I am not sure what is the specialty of the attorney I have to look for

1. Glenn Johnston

1

Answered . USMLE is for foreign certified doctors to get a US license. I am assuming that failing the test affects your immigration status. I recommend that you speak to an immigration attorney.

As to failing the test due to computer problems, I don't think you would be able to sue the USMLE board, since the computers presumably worked for the testing purposes. If their equipment failed, then it is likely you would need to appeal to them and make a final determination that they would not let you retake before any lawsuit could be brought. However, I fail to see what remedy a lawsuit would bring you. What cause of action would you claim? That would determine what kind of attorney you would need.

In this case, I do not see any.

In any case, the tests are administered by prometric, and USMLE tells them how to handle such scenarios, so have you tried contacting USMLE and asking them what they can do about it? Your first step should not be to sue them.

This does not constitute legal advice or the engagement of my services as an attorney.
  2. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

1

Answered . A lawyer that practices administrative law.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . Please carefully review their testing requirements. An administrative attorney could help you