Using artwork without permission

Asked 9 months ago - Murrieta, CA

Hello  my name is Paul Ribera I created a art piece and  Posted it on my myspace page around three years ago I had my small logo/signature on it and wanted to do big Things with it. Years later I am seeing it posted all over the web and  Talked about greatly.  I found that a website,  here http://www.polyvore.com/jesus_beer_pong_last_su... And through a website called zazzle  I see that they are making allot of money off of something I created. And would like to know how and what I can do to get compensated.

1. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

1

Answered . Where is the IP attorney you used to assure proper protection of your IP so people don't make money off something you? This is the logical result of not using an attorney. You appear to have a statute of limitations problem. You also can't get statutory damages due to failure to have registered your copyright prior to the start of infringement. So now you are limited to actual damages, which are difficult to prove and generally quite low. Frankly you are likely out of luck now.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

1

Answered . Follow Mr. Burdick's advice. He is one of the best intellectual property attorneys in the country. You really need to start using an IP attorney in your area. Use the Avvo Find a Lawyer tool to find one

3. David Bremner Benoit

Answered . In this case, you would only be able to be awarded actual damages if you won a lawsuit. You would be best advised to speak to an IP attorney about this issue who can give you a better estimate of the cost-benefit to you. The cost of bringing a lawsuit can add up quickly, is time consuming, and may not be worth it in light of the actual damages. A good lawyer will be honest with you in this regard. If you and your attorney believe the damages are indeed significant, then it may be worth brining a suit if you still can, but definitely do some investigating before jumping into anything. An attorney may advise you on other ways to work with this image such as by sending cease and desist letters to the companies, which may or may not work and you would likely have to prove you were the original author the work, but this could open up the market if you would like to then work with what is left of it. Again, you want to be careful with this.