Used car dealer requesting my paper work?

Lithonia, GA |
Filed under: Used cars

I'm in the process of returning a car that was faulty and the used car manager said ok bring all your papers in with the car. My question is does the used car dealer need my papers so I can get a refund?

1. Not sure what the "return" requirements are for the car dealer, but having your paperwork for a faulty, or lemon, would be a good idea. how else will you be able to make the dealer stick to the conditions contained in your agreement, if you don't know what the conditions are?

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. At this time, I am not accepting professional responsibility on this matter. No attorney/client relationship is created unless and until I receive a signed retainer agreement along with the requested retainer fee. If this matter is truly important to you, hire an attorney. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 678-510-1716 or mbarber@barberlegalcounsel.com if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). Without reviewing the appropriate paperwork It is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. Circular 230 Disclosure: Pursuant to recently-enacted U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments and enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

2. Take all the papers. Hopefully you are familiar with the terms of the purchase. Without seeing the documents and having more information, it is not possible to comment on what might happen.

3. A person always need to keep paperwork with any large purchase, particularly a motor vehicle which involves an asset transfer, registration, bill of sale, usually a loan and financing agreement and possibly others. Do not relinquish them! Keep copies for yourself safe from damage. Claiming Lemon Law rights requires documentation of repair attempts. If you are still uncertain, be sure to contact a good lawyer who has had experience in this area. I spent 15 years in the car business.

I am providing general information on the law only, and no attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of this exchange. You can not rely upon this as formal legal advice. If you require specific legal advice, you must hire an attorney and then your communications will be protected by attorney-client privilege, and you will have the benefit of an opinion of counsel. Call 770-753-9995 for a free evaluation.

Lemon law topics