Use Unused Approved H1 pettition

Dallas, TX |

Hi,
I have a situation here,
- Entered USA in 2010 as an L2 and got EAd approved.
- Working based on EAD till date
- Last year my old employer got my H1 petition approved, which required me to travel back to India and get it stamped. I chose not to travel and continue working on EAD.
- I still have the approved petition with me.
- I switched my employer DEC 2012 and working on EAD.

Can my current employer and I use the old approved H1 petition? What are the possible route for me to move to H1 now.

Thanks!

Just wanted to add that our L1 and L2 have been extended till mar 2015 and EAD renewal is under progress.

1. A lot depends on whether or not the 'old' employer had the petition revoked.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

2. Unlikely. The forms specifically require that you be in H-1B status within the last six years to be cap-exempt. Under the facts you give, you have never been in H-1B status.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

3. I disagree with my colleagues in one respect. If h1b petition was approved within last 6 years, you are CAP exempts, even if you never held the status, revoked or not, unless fraud.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.