Skip to main content

USCIS requires nationality documents for TPS?

Atlanta, GA |

Entered on B1/B1 on March 16, 2012

I was born in Syria, lived all of my life and received my education there as well, but I hold a Jordanian passport. My origin is Syrian, but i didn't apply for the Syrian passport hence i was using the Jordanian one instead.

Now USICS saying that i need to prove that i am Syrian national even though i have submitted my Syrian birth certificate.

My question if i provide a document that proves my grandfather (origin) is Syrian, does this count as i am a Syrian national? The doc if i found it is very old record in 1920s from the time of Ottoman empire, my cousin was able to get his Syrian passport using it. Does USCIS consider these special cases?

Also Can i apply for an F1 as an option?

Please contact if you only think you can help me using this doc

Attorney Answers 3

  1. A birth certificate may not be enough, as some countries do not confer citizenship based solely on birth in the country. In all likelihood, you will need a Syrian passport.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  2. Nationality under immigration law means citizenship not place of birth. For instance, you were born in Saudi Arabia to Bangladeshi parents you are not Saudi national, even if you want to be.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. No a "special" case. You simply have to prove that you are a citizen of Syria.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics