USCIS requires nationality documents for TPS?

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

Entered on B1/B1 on March 16, 2012

I was born in Syria, lived all of my life and received my education there as well, but I hold a Jordanian passport. My origin is Syrian, but i didn't apply for the Syrian passport hence i was using the Jordanian one instead.

Now USICS saying that i need to prove that i am Syrian national even though i have submitted my Syrian birth certificate.

My question if i provide a document that proves my grandfather (origin) is Syrian, does this count as i am a Syrian national? The doc if i found it is very old record in 1920s from the time of Ottoman empire, my cousin was able to get his Syrian passport using it. Does USCIS consider these special cases?

Also Can i apply for an F1 as an option?

Please contact if you only think you can help me using this doc

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . Nationality under immigration law means citizenship not place of birth. For instance, you were born in Saudi Arabia to Bangladeshi parents you are not Saudi national, even if you want to be.

2. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . No a "special" case. You simply have to prove that you are a citizen of Syria.

3. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . A birth certificate may not be enough, as some countries do not confer citizenship based solely on birth in the country. In all likelihood, you will need a Syrian passport.