USCIS requires nationality documents for TPS?

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

Entered on B1/B1 on March 16, 2012

I was born in Syria, lived all of my life and received my education there as well, but I hold a Jordanian passport. My origin is Syrian, but i didn't apply for the Syrian passport hence i was using the Jordanian one instead.

Now USICS saying that i need to prove that i am Syrian national even though i have submitted my Syrian birth certificate.

My question if i provide a document that proves my grandfather (origin) is Syrian, does this count as i am a Syrian national? The doc if i found it is very old record in 1920s from the time of Ottoman empire, my cousin was able to get his Syrian passport using it. Does USCIS consider these special cases?

Also Can i apply for an F1 as an option?

Please contact if you only think you can help me using this doc

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Nationality under immigration law means citizenship not place of birth. For instance, you were born in Saudi Arabia to Bangladeshi parents you are not Saudi national, even if you want to be.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No a "special" case. You simply have to prove that you are a citizen of Syria.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A birth certificate may not be enough, as some countries do not confer citizenship based solely on birth in the country. In all likelihood, you will need a Syrian passport.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,584 answers this week

3,051 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,584 answers this week

3,051 attorneys answering