USCIS requests applicant to bring his ID to the citizenship interview!!

Chicago, IL |

A friend is due for a naturalization interview soon and he was concerned when he received from USCIS a "Pre-Interview Case File Review" letter printed on a yellow paper informing him that they have reviewed his file and his N-400 application and needed him to bring his state issued ID to the interview. It is given that every one should carry his ID with him however does any one knows why USCIS makes this explicit request to bring the state-issued ID to the naturalization interview? and have any one received this letter, attended his citizenship interview and found out what is the reason behind this strange request?

OUr office receives these al the time. It is nothing to worry about in most cases

www.immigrate2usa.com

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 www.immigrate2usa.com Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 nfleischer@immigrate2usa.com Enjoy our Blog at http://immigrate2usa.blogspot.com/

In my own N400 application, I did include a photocopy of my state ID and I did not get that yellow letter however my friend here did not include a photocopy of his ID because it wasn't listed as a requirement..could that be the reason why he's now receiving this request?

There are a couple of possible reasons for this request (1) the application wasn't done with the assistance of an attorney and possibly wasn't complete; (2) there is a question of identity; or (3) the person has had criminal convictions and they want to arrest him.

Call a lawyer.

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

In my own N400 application (long time ago), I did include a photocopy of my state ID and I did not get that yellow letter however my friend here did not include a photocopy of his ID because it wasn't listed as a requirement..could that be the reason why he's now receiving this request?

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Yes, that is possible. That's why people use attorneys ... because we know what 'extra' things to include.

Because they need to verify that the person appearing at the interview is the person they need to interview. Nothing strange at all about the request.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.