USCIS freedom of information act

Asked 8 months ago - Paterson, NJ

is it true that you can request your entire A file from USCIS for free, and it only takes two weeks to get the entire file on CD? Do they already have A files scanned or do they need to scan them? is it a good idea to request your A file to see what USCIS has on you?

1. Eric M. Mark

Pro

3

Answered . Yes you can. Yes it's free. It takes much much longer than two weeks. Yes, it's a good idea if you are planning on filing any applications/petitions in the future.

2. Steven Sahag Vosbikian

Pro

2

Answered . I wish - NO. It can take a while - only God knows how long it could take.

3. Geoffrey Alan Hoffman

2

Answered . I have had luck in recent few months with a turn around time of under 6 months. In the past it has been 1 year or more. As for free, yes it is usually free but the agency could charge if excess pages. It comes in a CD now and some pages may be redacted for privileged info. You can appeal within 60 days if you would like to appeal any information that is withheld by the agency. Good luck.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication.
  4. Yolanda Navarrete

Answered . It is a very good idea to get your file. It takes longer than two weeks. Lately they do provide the file on CD.