USCIS form I-190

Paterson, NJ |

Do I have to send in my old green card when i request a name correction that was due to my fault, and not USCIS's fault??

Yes, you are required to surrender the old green card.

I am a little confused. I was reading the instruction, and it says if the error was due to USCIS, I have to send the card, but it does not say anything if the error was due to the applicants actions.

Robert K D'Andrea

Robert K D'Andrea

Follow the I-90 form instructions.

So I should not send the card?

I am assuming that by I-190, you actually mean I-90. If so, the answer to your question is in the form instructions.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Yes, they want the old card ... to avoid it being sold on-the-street.

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Marriage and prenups topics