USCIS Final Rule to Support Family Unity During Waiver Process Can a 2 year old USC child apply for her Undocumented parents

Asked over 1 year ago - Allentown, PA

Does the Child need to be 21?
What are the immigration requirments?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Veronica Tunitsky

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Yes, the child must be 21. Additional point to consider is that those who need a waiver (who can't adjust in the us) must show extreme hardship to a qualifying relative. The provisional waiver program considers only us citizen spouses or parents to be qualifying relatives. So, even if your child could sponsor you, you don't seem to have a qualifying relative under the provisional waiver program.

    The only time you can use a child as a qualifying relative is if the reason for your inadmissibility is criminally related (and you would have to pursue a refular I-601 waiver not the provisional waiver if that is the case since only persons whose SOLE ground of inadmissibility is unlawful presence are eligible for the provisional waiver.

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an... more
  2. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, the child must be 21. The requirement is for the child to be a US citizen and earn enough money to support the parents at 125% of the poverty rate.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more
  3. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with the analyses of my colleagues

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,175 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,175 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering