USAF Veteran, seeking medical help from the VA and to get my DD214 changed.

Georgetown, KY |
Filed under: Military law

I was discharged from the USAF on 22DEC2011 after being placed in a Rehab for Suicide, Depression and PTSD (As stated on Rehab Diagnosis Form) As i was overlooking my DD214, I noticed that I never signed my DD214, and they put "Adjustment Disorder." It is an Honorable discharge, however I was Voluntold to enter the rehab, if i didnt I was disobeying an Article 15 and "Security forces is on their way to pick you up" -As said by my squadron commander VIA speaker phone at the hospital. I was told it was a 10 day program, they kept me there for 1 month and 18 days, as a holding cell in my opinion. There i was harrassed constantly by my 1st sgt and staff. They put me on tons of medications, Anti depressants, and Benzos in which i cant afford and have hurt my health more. I need legal advice.

Your question is not clear as to what legal advice you need concerning the VA and what on your discharge you want changed. If you were honorably discharged from the USAF after your term of service expired you are generally eligible for VA medical benefits. You are also most likely eligible for VA disability benefits but you will need to submit a claim for them if you have not done so already.

I feel as if my rights have been completely yanked from me. I have went to the Veteran Services and they have nothing they can do for me since I didnt complete my first term, however if I wouldnt have been ordered to the rehab then i would have went about my normal work routine within a week (as what i was told). They put me on a bunch of sedative medications in which I cant afford anymore, and I believe that with my DD214 not having my signature, I never authorized an Adjustment Disorder. I am not seeking disability persay, I just want veteran services to help me with my medication. I dont understand how the military said I needed so much medical attention, and then once I am out of the service they havent been able to help me since. I have not worked since, I am drowing in debt from my medications and doctor visits. I feel like there is an extreme legal issue with me not being present for my dd214 signing, nor did i agree to these terms. Is there anything I should do, I have been told to write my congressman, as if that would do anything though. I have filed a claim through the VA however its been two years now and I still havent heard anything, they told me my paperwork was lost. (Medical Records) and they had to resubmit to find them. Meanwhile, I am without medical attention, a job, or anything. Not trying to pour out too much, just at a complete loss right now.

I have handled several of these cases. Without seeing your records it is hard to say upon what they based their diagnosis, but the BLUF is that the only way to get the record changed is to prove it is wrong. The only way to prove it is wrong is either by a review of the medical records or by an independent diagnosis. If you would like to discuss further, please give me a call.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.

I am currently residing in Georgetown KY, Veteran services has been giving me the run around for a while now, and im just getting tired of it. I really want to get things straightened out, because I was told in the Rehab, that I would be medically discharged. They said they would have a hard time proving PTSD without me having been overseas, but they fail to realize my mission with the B1 Bombers, I am not in the position at this time to hire a lawyer, just seeking advice on what I should do at this time because I am at a dead end

There should not be a problem getting VA Medical assistance - if your condition is service connected or aggravated. You're message does not say how long you were serving before discharge. If your condition was service connected or aggravated - you may be eligible for VA disability compensation as well. Regarding your DD214 - you can petition the AFDRB or AFBCMR to get changes made to your DD214. You can contact my office for a free consult.

Military law topics