Skip to main content

USAF Veteran, seeking medical help from the VA and to get my DD214 changed.

Georgetown, KY |
Filed under: Military law

I was discharged from the USAF on 22DEC2011 after being placed in a Rehab for Suicide, Depression and PTSD (As stated on Rehab Diagnosis Form) As i was overlooking my DD214, I noticed that I never signed my DD214, and they put "Adjustment Disorder." It is an Honorable discharge, however I was Voluntold to enter the rehab, if i didnt I was disobeying an Article 15 and "Security forces is on their way to pick you up" -As said by my squadron commander VIA speaker phone at the hospital. I was told it was a 10 day program, they kept me there for 1 month and 18 days, as a holding cell in my opinion. There i was harrassed constantly by my 1st sgt and staff. They put me on tons of medications, Anti depressants, and Benzos in which i cant afford and have hurt my health more. I need legal advice.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Your question is not clear as to what legal advice you need concerning the VA and what on your discharge you want changed. If you were honorably discharged from the USAF after your term of service expired you are generally eligible for VA medical benefits. You are also most likely eligible for VA disability benefits but you will need to submit a claim for them if you have not done so already.

  2. I have handled several of these cases. Without seeing your records it is hard to say upon what they based their diagnosis, but the BLUF is that the only way to get the record changed is to prove it is wrong. The only way to prove it is wrong is either by a review of the medical records or by an independent diagnosis. If you would like to discuss further, please give me a call.

    This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.

  3. There should not be a problem getting VA Medical assistance - if your condition is service connected or aggravated. You're message does not say how long you were serving before discharge. If your condition was service connected or aggravated - you may be eligible for VA disability compensation as well. Regarding your DD214 - you can petition the AFDRB or AFBCMR to get changes made to your DD214. You can contact my office for a free consult.

Military law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics