USA LLC forming subsidiary/branch in CANADA

Asked about 1 year ago - Dublin, OH

If a USA LLC form was to setup a subsidiary in Canada, are there any steps,provisions or entries in bylaws need to be made ? What is the usual process in brief

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jonathan H Levy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you have no idea what you are doing it is time to hire an attorney which in this case should be a Canadian one. You also need to figure out if you are setting up a Canadian federal company or a provincial one. Many Canadian provinces may require your company to have resident directors etc.

    This is not legal advice but a general comment on society based on a limited set of hypothetical circumstances.... more
  2. Richard S Sternberg


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need a lawyer licensed in the appropriate province of Canada. US law is unlikely to be a problem if I understand your question, but it wouldn't hurt to run the Canadian conclusions past a lawyer in the jurisdiction where the US LLC is registered and/or has its principal place of business.

    Reading an answer on the Internet does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are represented by me when... more
  3. Luca Cristiano Maria Melchionna

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Of course you need to change the LLC documents. Then you need a local attorney in one of the Canada provinces, in addition to the one you should hire in the US. Generally, Us attorneys have correspondents in Canada. We have some. In brief, there is not enough space here to illustrate the proper steps to take to protect your interest in the US and in Canada. Best.

    This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,865 answers this week

2,801 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,865 answers this week

2,801 attorneys answering