Skip to main content

US visitor visa

Seattle, WA |

I am planning to apply US visitor visa for my parents. My mom has different middle name in her passport then my passport. Shall I send all required documents according to my passport name or hers? We are also planing to get notarized document mentioning both middle name person is the same to avoid any confusion. Appreciate your feedback.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You don't need your passport. You need some proof of your status such as a copy of your green card or naturalization certificate, and perhaps your birth certificate to show they are your parents. Her passport, of course, is necessary. If your passport is the only place where her middle name is different, then this may fall into the category of 'don't point it out; it will only cause more confusion.' She may want to have the notarized document with her in case it does come up.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.


What does your passport have to do with her application for a tourist visa?

I think you would benefit from talking in private with an immigration attorney.

Notarized documents from you are NOT necessary and, by sending unnecessary documents, can possibly cause her to be denied ... they might think that you're trying to 'get her in to the US', so that you can file some sponsorship papers for her to get a greencard.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


In general, someone applying for a visa must use the name that is listed on his or her birth certificate on all application materials (unless the name was legally changed after birth, e.g. through marriage, OR the question on the application specifically requests some other name, such as the exact name that appears on that person's green card).


Your passport is not relevant. Her visa application shoud duse the name in her passport. . for any questions asking about relatives in the U.S. where she is referring to you I woudl use your legal name and if this is different than the name in your passport you can add also known as ...).

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


I agree with my colleagues. Your passport is irrelevant to her tourist application. As long as her name on the application is her name in the passport she should be fine. It is best to consult an immigration attorney.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Prepare a workable road map with a local immigration counsel in person to facilitate your mother's visit to the U.S. as necessary.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


I agree wholeheartedly with Barbara.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer