US Steel rescinded their offer because my hair took to long to grow for a drug test. After passing Drug Test and Back Ground

Gary, IN |

I received a contingent offer of employment in writing, from US Steel. Contingent on passing background and drug test. The company does a hair follicle drug test and the hair for the test must be 1.5 inches long. It took 4 months for me to grow my hair to this length then told by recruiter told me that I passed the background check and drug test but there is no longer openings, because It took to long for my hair to grow. I already left my job. Is there any legal action that can be taken, I am a black male and hair on my body grows very thing and slow it is not my fault that I have no hair, My genetics enabled me not to get a job.

The prospective employer did not rescind the offer because of your hair growth rate or your genetics. The offer was rescinded because an express condition was not timely satisfied. Big difference.

The drug test policy was in place at the time you applied; the policy applies to everyone -- all racial groups; the condition was articulated as a condition of the offer. Most likely the policy is not unlawful for its adverse impact on any racial group.

Realize that a candidate who wished to "beat" the drug test could covertly trim the hair during the "grow-in" phase, and the employer has the right to administer its race-neutral drug policy in ways that prevent that kind of covert conduct from succeeding.

It would be helpful to know why you had already cleft your prior job for a conditional job offer that was still conditional. That seems to have been imprudent and a knowing assumption of unnecessary risk on your part.

NOTHING SAID HERE IS LEGAL ADVICE! Read this notice BEFORE you contact me! My posts on Avvo in response to the public's questions are never offered as legal advice. Do not rely on any response posted by me as applicable to your specific problem or circumstances. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions - Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my law firm. My law firm does not provide free consultations. See http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/free-consultation-the-purposes-and-utility-of-free-for-potential-clients-and-for-attorneys for further details on that issue. Please do not call or email me with a “few questions.” I give advice, make recommendations, and answer specific questions only after reviewing the documentary record and other evidence applicable to a specific client, and only in the course of or following a conference with my client in which all of the relevant information can be identified and developed. AND I give legal advice ONLY in the course of an attorney-client relationship created and defined by a written contract for services, signed by my client and by me or a member of my firm, for which payment has been made. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; professional (State or federal licensing agency) discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic disputes involving universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We accept grievances, administrative claims, arbitrations, mediations, negotiations, and other non-litigation matters pertaining to employment, hospital and facility privileges, tenure, and contractual disputes. We conduct seminars and training in employment law for employers and union advocates, and in issues of professional/occupational licensing law for criminal defense attorneys. We accept NO contingency work, and we take no matters for which CCP discovery is applicable.