US Presidents - criminal and civil charges

Asked over 5 years ago - Columbus, OH

Dear Sir or Madame,
Is is possible to file criminal and civil charges against a US president after he leaves office because he is obstructing justice against you while he is in office? If so, what is the statute of limitations, please?

Also, how do you file criminal charges against him for international crimes against you that are being committed in the European Union?

Thank you for yout time and attention to this matter.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael E Hendrickson

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would find such a case utterly unlikely it terms of its judicial viability (and would further likely recommend that
    the person making such claims seek counseling).

  2. Jonathan H Levy

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You can submit a communiation to the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court in The Hague though the US is not a party to the Rome Statute, nonetheless if the alleged acts were carried out in a country that is an ICC member, theoretically th ICC would have jurisdiction to investigate.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,439 answers this week

2,789 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,439 answers this week

2,789 attorneys answering