US Green Card holder travel and return to US from Canada

Asked over 1 year ago - Reston, VA

I am a US Green Card Holder. My wife is a US Citizen. She applied for and got approved for Canadian Green Card. By Canadian regulations all family members/dependents are automatically issued Canadian Green Cards. As US Citizens my wife and children can freely travel to Canada/US. My question is: as US Green Card holder, could my intention to abandon residency come up if I travel to Canada, even briefly? Is there a law/regulation/case precedent in this regard? As of July both US and Canada will report to each other the border entry records and entry status. Am I violating any law if I travel to Canada as US/Canadian Green Card holder?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are not violating the law by traveling to Canada with your green card.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can find answers to your questions here:

    Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
    Attorney & Counselor at Law
    I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
    1199 N Fairfax St., Ste 702
    Alexandria, VA 22314
    Tel: (703) 527-1779
    Fax: (703) 778-0369

    The information provided in this answer is designed to provide useful information and background materials about I.... more
  3. Anu Gupta


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You are allowed to travel to Canada while on a US green card as long as you have a Canadian visa.

    Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit www.... more
  4. Peter Anthony Jabaly


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can travel to Canada so long as you have a passport and a valid visa. Staying there for an extended period of time, more than 180 days, is not advised. And, if you're actually moving, then you may need to speak with an attorney.

    The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,299 answers this week

2,815 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,299 answers this week

2,815 attorneys answering