Skip to main content

Us citizenship help required

New York, NY |

Child born 29 years ago in UK of UK mother and US father. Father abandoned child just before his birth. Parents were married at time. Child now seeks US citizenship, but needs co operation from American father whom he's never met. He's not having any luck. Has tracked him down in new York, but he refuses to answer calls or reply to e mails. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Mother received no child support or maintenance ever.

Birth date June 1st 1983.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    I agree, but more information is needed. The situation is complicated, can prove costly and potentially futile. The Father's certified birth certificate, perhaps even DNA may be required. A competent and costly private investigator may also need to bridge the gap. The exact date of birth may be an issue due to a law made effective on 2/27/2001. What is his birth date?

    This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

  2. Schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney in New York.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. Classical N-600 Certificate of Citizenship case. Contact the best immigration lawyer money can buy (iin Manhattan; not Brooklyn!), you won't succeed otherwise!

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. I agree with my colleagues. Meet with an attorney.

  5. It appears from the facts you have provided that the child may have acquired citizenship at birth, but that will depend upon the father's connection to the United States prior to the child's birth.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics