US Citizenship based on marriage based Green Card.

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

Hello,
I am become permanent resident based on marriage based Green Card on March 21 2010 . I was wondering when can I apply for my US Citizenship .

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

1

Answered . On December 21, 2012.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Alice Antonovsky

4

Answered . If you are still married to your US Citizen spouse, you can apply for citizenship in 3 years from date you received your green card (if you first had a conditional green card, those years also count towards the 3 years). You can typically file 90 days prior to your 3 year anniversary. Good Luck.

3. Stephen D. Berman

4

Answered . December 21, 2012.

4. Shachar S. Malachovsky

1

Answered . If you had a conditional green card you must first remove the conditional status and receive the 10 year green card first. If you have already received the 10 year green card then if you are still married you may apply for Naturalization/U.S. Citizenship in three (3) years from receiving the first green card. You can actually apply within the three (3) months prior to the three (3) years. . . meaning two (2) years and (9) months from the time you first received the green card. If you are no longer married you must wait five (5) years (actually you can apply in 4 years and 9 months). HOWEVER, in both cases you must still meet all other requirements for naturalization including continuous residence in the USA, good moral character, English and Civics knowledge etc. These details should be discussed with a qualified immigration attorney before you apply for naturalization/US citizenship as they can effect you green card status as well.

5. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

Answered . You can file now.