US citizenship application question for married couple.

San Jose, CA |

My spouse and I are already 5yrs as a permanent resident. Now we plan to fill out N400 form and apply for US citizenship. Can we do this together? I mean go thru the process like send applications, biometrics, naturalization interview, etc together? If so, how should we do it? Does USCIS treat US application per forms submitted or married couples can be scheduled together? Please advise and I'm in the bay area if that matters.

1. There is no prohibition against putting two packages in the same envelope but keep in mind they are two separate cases.

2. You can submit your applications together, but USCIS will not always schedule the appointments on the same day.

Please see

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

3. My colleagues are correct. Moreover, it is wise to have an attorney you trust go over the requirements with you and your husband before submitting the paperwork, just to make sure there is no risk in applying. Good luck.

Otis C. Landerholm, Esq.
    Immigration, Bankruptcy & More
    San Francisco, CA 94110
    415-322-0960