US citizenship

Asked about 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

The father claimed that his child was born at home (in the US) and he was able to get him a US birth certificate . While the fact is the child was born overseas in different country and came with his mom after days of the birth. The mom's foreign passport show that the child place of birth. The INS stamped show (+1). After she came to USA in a visa, they were able to get his birth certificate and as a result the child is national born US citizen. Given that he wasn't born in USA and non of his parent is a US citizen when he born.

How to report this to USCIS? will the USCIS do anything? what documents is needed to file the claim? is the mom passport and the child birth certificate enough?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Look online for the USCIS office nearest you. Each USCIS office has a fraud detection section. Send your information there.

    The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be... more
  2. Answered . If you report it to the ICE department near you, they will handle the investigation themselves.

    Good Luck.

  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . That is just a terrible thing for a parent to do. I agree with my colleague to report it to your nearest ICE office or call the ICE hotline. There will be others like you willing to testify to this matter.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US citizenship

In order to become US citizens and enjoy the benefits that citizenship grants, immigrants must go through the naturalization process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,703 answers this week

3,713 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,703 answers this week

3,713 attorneys answering