US Citizen Family petition from Dominican Republic

Asked almost 3 years ago - Orlando, FL

I’m a US Citizen and have a few question.

I would like to petition my haft brother (father side) for a green card, he lives in the Dominican Republic.

Route 1.
My father has visitor Visa. Can I petition my father for a green card?
My brother is 20 and not marry. My father had a green card in 1981 and return it since he did not wanted to live in the U.S.
If I file petition for my father.
1. Can he stay in the Dominican Republic or would he have to be here since he can enter legally with visitor Visa.
2. How long would that take. Him being here and him being in the Dominican Republic?
3. If my father becomes a green card holder, would it allow automatically petition my brother? And how long would that take?

Route 2.
File for petition for my brother.
1. How long would it take?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

10

Answered . Your father is considered an "immediate relative". You could get him a green card in less than one year.

However, it takes about 11 years to immigrate your brother.

Please see

2. J Charles Ferrari

1

Best Answer

Answered . Route 1.

Yes

If I file petition for my father.

An I-130, by itself, does not require that the person being petitioned be in the US.

6 -12 months.

No. You father would need to file a petition. How long it takes depends on how the priority dates move and whether your brother remains single, among other factors.

Route 2.
    File for petition for my brother.
    1. How long would it take?

Depends on the movement of the priority dates.

3. C. C. Abbott

1

Answered . My colleagues provide excellent replies. My only advice to add is to not use a notario who will promise to get your family members into the US quickly but will only steal your money and make false promises.

4. Richard Andrew Constantino Alton

Answered . You laid out great questions, but without knowing whether everyone is eligible to immigrate I would simply be guessing as to the time frames and ability to obtain an immigrant visa. I would suggest contacting a qualified immigration attorney in your area to review these questions with you, and make sure to bring as much documentation about your father's previous documents as well.