Skip to main content

Us citizen and Colombian: marriage in the US.

Miami, FL |
Filed under: Marriage and prenups

My fiancé and I are getting married next year he is a US citizen and I am Colombian. How many months after arriving to the USA on a visitor visa do you suggest for us to get married?

Can we file I-130, G-325A, I-864, I-485, I-765 together and send it as a package? or do we have to wait for the approved I-130?
we want to speed up the process and send forms together if its possible but we don't know if we can do it and which ones do we have to. Can you please help me? Thank you very much for reading and answering! God bless you

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Best answer

    The fact pattern you present reeks of preconceived intent. Your fiancé should file a 129f for you and if approved you would apply for a K visa. In the alternative, the two of you could marry and the he could petition for you as an immediate relative and if approved you would proceed with consular processing abroad.

    The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by the attorney, nor does the answering of this question create an attorney client relationship.

  2. You should not engage in planned course of action. You CANNOT enter the United States with a visitor's visa with the intent to marry and seek lawful permanent residence. This is circumventing the United States immigration laws. Using a visitor's visa to enter the country with the intent to remain permanently is fraud/material misrepresentation. If your intention is to marry after entering the United States, you need to apply for a fiance visa.

    Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654,, The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

  3. You should not enter the U.S. on a visitor visa with the intent of adjusting status. It is visa fraud and can have severe consequences. See below.

  4. I suggest you retain one reputable immigration counsel for one simple reason: the AOS you plan has many nuances and several legally appropriate route one may take, depending of the exact case circumstances and parties status and physical presence along with other factors.
    It is impossible to address everything you must be aware of in one short paragraph.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602

  5. I agree with my colleagues that this entire plan is not a good one.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  6. I agree with the others that this is not a wise course of action, because of the stated intent, which is evidence of an intent to circumvent the system.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics