Urinating in public NYC etc . . .

Bronx, NY |

I was on way home last night, and as usual there is NOWHERE to pee. I got out of cab and was going to pee behind a pole. an unmarked car came up and gave me 2 complaints. One for public urination and one for "exposure of a person." Since I know the law demands precision, can the fact she listed the wrong eye color on both be a defense as I will claim she did not actually see whet she claims. She stood right in front of me and listed "Br" for brown eyes, when my eyes are blue.

Also, is there any ramification if upheld by a judge? Do you have to register as a sex offender?

Were you charged with the misdemeanor version of public urination or the public health version? If the former, it's a lot more serious. Exposure is a violation (which is lower than a "crime") - so that's the less serious of the two charges. In any event, you will not have to register as a sex offender, the crimes that lead to registration are listed on this website:

If you want to keep your record clean, you should hire a lawyer. I've gotten a number of these types of cases dismissed, and hiring a lawyer for this sort of case is a lot less expensive than you might think.

Atty: 845-704-7777. This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed. Contact our office or another competent attorney immediately to discuss the particular facts of any claim or legal issue you might have in order to learn what time periods apply to your particular situation.

I handle these all the time. Your eye color does not make a difference. If you are charged with 153.09 that's a misdemeanor. In most courts you don't need to appear if you hire a lawyer. There are ways to get the case dismissed or reduced to a non-criminal outcome.

Eric Rothstein

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Retain a local experienced criminal defense lawyer. The eye color is not important.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights