Urgent tax question. Please help me. I am an international student, i do not familiar with the tax law. I bag for your help.

Dallas, TX |
Filed under: Debt

I received the tax account transcript that I ordered from IRS website last week. I found a transaction “review of unreported income" which code is 922. The date of the transaction is exactly same date that IRS issued the CP 2000 notice to me. Actually, two month ago, the “review of unreported income“first appeared in my account transcript, at that time, I called IRS, IRS told me that "they found some unreported income and will send me the notice latter". This time, this “review of unreported income" has updated to a new date which is exactly the date that IRS issued the cp2000 notice to me. I just wonder, does this date updating means that IRS found some new unreported income about me? Or IRS just updates the date of "922" because they send me a cp2000 notice? Thanks.

1. Hard to respond with no documents handy. My recommendation is to call your CPA or tax attorney. Best

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

2. It appears the IRS is notifying you that they have received a report, such as a Form W2 or 1099 issued by an employer, that you had possible taxable income that you have not included on a tax return. Depending on the type of notice, you may need to file a return or provide information to the IRS as to whether the report of income is correct or not, or if correct if you have any related deductions that may reduce the tax owed, if any. You probably need to consult with a CPA or tax attorney and review the notices to determine what is the best thing to do.

This information is provided for educational purposes only, and is not to be relied upon as legal advice. You should consult with an attorney with full disclosure of all facts and opportunity to consider all or alternative options.

3. Hire a licensed tax return preparer to handle this for you.