URGENT HELP! Overstayed F-1 intend to get married anytime procedures

Tampa, FL |

In advance, thank you so much for your time and expertise.

I came as an international student with the intend to complete my studies, on an F-1 visa which is good from 08/2010 until 08/2015. I switched schools and I had to leave the state of DE to go to FL. Now , I have a family emergency in Germany, that's where I am from.

I have the intend to get married any time if it would help the situation. Also what would be the best way then to apply for a green card.

Thank you kindly, I look forward to hearing from you vey soon!

1. Are you enrolled in school and have a valid I-20 and F-1 visa?

Are you currently engaged?

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 www.immigrate2usa.com Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 nfleischer@immigrate2usa.com Enjoy our Blog at http://immigrate2usa.blogspot.com/

2. It is not clear from your description how you have overstayed your F-1 status. Assuming that you have overstayed, getting married will not get you permission to return to the U.S. in a fast way. If you marry a US citizen and then apply for a green card based on that marriage, you may get an advance parole travel document that would enable you to leave the US and return, but it will take 2 to 3 months to receive it after you apply. If you need to return to Germany soon, you would have to look into applying for an immigrant visa in Frankfurt after your spouse's immigrant petition for you is approved. That whole process will not take less than 6 months.

3. It is not yet 2015. Do you mean you stopped going to school? You need a valid basis to apply for a green card -- marriage to a US citizen is one way but it should be a bona fide marriage and not one just so you could get a green card. Please consult a lawyer for your options.

An attorney-client relationship is not formed by my responses to questions on Avvo. My responses are not intended to be legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.

4. It i snot clear if you are stillin valid F status or not. Did your present school transfer your I-20? If you aer in status and you have a valid F1 Visa in your passport, you can leave for the emergency and return to resume your studies. You can then marry upon your return to the US(as long as it is a real marriage and not a marriage entered into justto get a green card) and apply for the green card then.

If you are no longer in valid F1 status, if Immigration (USCIS) is not aware that you stopped going to school you probably have not accummulated unlawful presence, but if you are no longer in school leaving th US does have some risk attached to it because if USCIS determines that you started accummulating unlawful presence when you stopped going to school, and you have accunnultaed more then 180 days of unlawful presence, once you leave you will not be allowed to return for 3-10 years.

If you were to marry before you leave, you would have to remain outside the US until you could get the immigrant visa. This could take about 9 months. Unless you are able to get married and remain in the US for at least 90 days after the filing of your green card appplicaiton, marriage right now is not a good idea.

You definitely need an attorney.

5. there is no urgency here. Calm down. Please.

I am a pretty smart guy, but I do not know everything. My answers here come from the knowledge I carry around in my head--if you want me to look something up, you should come see me. Take any advice here as being general in nature. Please be careful with your life and make decisions that are smart.

Marriage and prenups topics