Upstairs condo unit pipe bursted, water damages the lower leve

Asked over 2 years ago - San Jose, CA

I own a lower level condo unit where my inlaws live in it. The upstair unit's pipe burst and water damaged the ceiling, carpet and furniture. My inlaws and I don't have any home owner insurance, but the upstair unit has their own home owner insurance. Their insurance carrier told me that if they determine the burst isn't the policy holder's fault (or the HOA is the party at fault), the insurance won't cover our damage, and even if I sue the upstair unit owner, the insurance company is going to tell the court the same and i will lose the suit. Is it true? My inlaws are staying in the hotel, how can we get the hotel stay cost reimbursed?

Thanks so much for Frank's quick advice.
The pipe burst was in the kitchen of the upstair unit rather than the common area. Upstair's insurance company push the issue to the HOA with the suspicion of cuase of pipe burst being the high pressure to the host.

The HOA insurnace company is saying the HOA's policy does not cover the hotel stay but the repairing portion if they determine it's the HOA's responsiblity for the pipe burst, and I will be responsible for the deductible of $5000 (or $2500 if splitting with the upstair owner). Shouldn't the single fact that the burst water came from the upstairs make the upstairs owner liable for all my loss, and it's his/her obligation to find the party who is at fault to reimburse him/her? Appreciate any feedbacks..

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

4

Answered . The hotel costs are part of your claim.

The HOA will be liable if the evidence shows that the cause of the water damage was due to common area pipes.

The upstairs owner will be liable if the evidence shows that the water damage was due to plumbing within the upstairs unit.

If the insurance carrier for the upstairs unit does not pay you, then you will have to sue the owner of the upstairs unit and/or the HOA for your damages (property damage plus hotel costs). You don't sue the insurance carrier. It will be your burden to prove which party is liable.

2. Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Pro

Answered . you need to make claims with the upstairs owners insurance company and the HOA's insurance company as well and let them fight out the cause. I have handled cases such as this before. Please give me a call for a free consultation at 415-441-1052.