Upgrading I-130 Petition.

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I am Legal Permanent Resident of US and I have filed I-130 petition for my wife on February 2012 and case is currently Pending at California Service Center. Coming week, I am becoming Naturalized US Citizen and I understand that after I become naturalized US citizen I have to request USCIS to upgrade my wife's I-130 petition to Spouse of US Citizen. As per my knowledge,currently, I-130 petition of US Citizen's Spouse is processed only at local USCIS field offices not at USCIS Service Centers.

So what happens when I inform USCIS to upgrade my wife's I-130 Petition? How it will be processed? How long USCIS will take to process our I-130 petition? Will California Service center process our I-130 petition or it will be sent to local field office?

Currently my wife is living abroad and she have never come to US.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

Answered . Depends on whether your wife is residing in the US or abroad.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

9

Answered . When you become a citizen you do not need to upgrade anything. If your wife is in the USA, you take the approved I-130 and a copy of your naturalization certificate to an immigration attorney so they would file the I-485 for your wife. The upgrade happens by operation of law.

3. Stephen D. Berman

3

Answered . If you notify USCIS, they should approve the visa and forward it to the National Visa Center.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . You didn't tell us where she is.

You are incorrect as to the local/Service Center responsibilities.

Also, if she's not in the US ... the NVC, not CIS is involved.

Consider spending a little money and meeting with an attorney..