Upgrading I-130 Petition.

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I am Legal Permanent Resident of US and I have filed I-130 petition for my wife on February 2012 and case is currently Pending at California Service Center. Coming week, I am becoming Naturalized US Citizen and I understand that after I become naturalized US citizen I have to request USCIS to upgrade my wife's I-130 petition to Spouse of US Citizen. As per my knowledge,currently, I-130 petition of US Citizen's Spouse is processed only at local USCIS field offices not at USCIS Service Centers.

So what happens when I inform USCIS to upgrade my wife's I-130 Petition? How it will be processed? How long USCIS will take to process our I-130 petition? Will California Service center process our I-130 petition or it will be sent to local field office?

Additional information

Currently my wife is living abroad and she have never come to US.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Depends on whether your wife is residing in the US or abroad.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . When you become a citizen you do not need to upgrade anything. If your wife is in the USA, you take the approved I-130 and a copy of your naturalization certificate to an immigration attorney so they would file the I-485 for your wife. The upgrade happens by operation of law.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  3. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you notify USCIS, they should approve the visa and forward it to the National Visa Center.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more
  4. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You didn't tell us where she is.

    You are incorrect as to the local/Service Center responsibilities.

    Also, if she's not in the US ... the NVC, not CIS is involved.

    Consider spending a little money and meeting with an attorney..

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,774 answers this week

2,896 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,774 answers this week

2,896 attorneys answering