Upgrade of I-130 for spouse

Asked almost 6 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

I filed an I-130 for my wife but since then have become a US citizen. How do I upgrade my petition and what is the fastest way to get a green card or a work permit for my wife? She is in the country already. Thank you!

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Ann Massey Badmus

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Assuming that your wife was admitted into the U.S. legally, she can now file the I-485 application to adjust status to permanent resident. Along with the I-485, you would submit the I-130 receipt notice or approval notice and a copy of your naturalization certificate. At the same time, you can file an application for the employment authorization document (work permit). You should consult an immigration attorney before you file any immigration application so you can understand the full legal ramifications of the application.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,752 answers this week

3,370 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,752 answers this week

3,370 attorneys answering