Skip to main content

Updating immigration status with the social security administration: what if the file has mistakes?

Harriman, TN |

Wife is awaiting her appointment for her Citizenship Oath.

I got to thinking: Wife was issued her social-security number in '04, after she granted LPR. What do if we do if there's a mistake in her file regarding her status: SSA having listing her as a US citizen from 2004 and onward, when she was actually an LPR when she was issued the number?

We know she showed her GC and Canadian birth-certificate when she applied for her SS#. She would have had too, she couldn't have gotten it otherwise.
-- Is that something that should have popped on her background check done by the USCIS?
-- If they have made a mistake and have had her listed as a US citizen this whole time without us knowing, what do we do?
-- Who takes the blame?

99.9999% certain I'm worrying over nothing. Just curious

Attorney Answers 4

  1. !. How do you know that the file has her listed as a USC?

    2. No, it is not normal to show a Canadian Birth Certificate when you get a social security number.

    3. There is no 'blame' to take ... as long as she didn't check the US citizen box on the form.

    4. Basically, I'd say forget about it ... except that I go back to point #1 ... how do you know what the SS records say?

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. No worries. Simply go to the Social Security Office and fix it.

  3. this is not an immigration law quesiton.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

  4. If the error was made by the Social Security office, there is nothing to worry about.

Social security topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics