Update question on medical debt summons. What now? Do I still file an answer? What's my bargaining power re pay for delete?

Seattle, WA |

I talked to my insurance company and they did pay out for every claim that was owed to the provider. I then called the lawyer who filed the summons who informed me that I needed to talk to the collector instead. I called the collector and they said that until they received the paperwork stating that he insurance company had paid, they would not stop pursuing the suit and that the medical office had requested the lawsuit. I called the medical office and they said that they knew nothing about the suit and that they had been paid by my insurance company, only I'd had two co-pays I hadn't payed. The medical office is calling the collector to see where the communication fell through.

I'd like this off my credit report and the summons to go away.

I just got a call from the collection agency saying that they're dropping everything having to do with the summons but that I still owe a little bit of money because of the copays. She said that she didn't know how they had miscommunicated for three years on this. Can I negotiate this off my credit report (pay for delete) or make a counterclaim against them for pursuing a debt I didn't owe?

Keep good records of all communications on this. From facts you present, it might be worth investing in a consultation with a local consumer law attorney. Most, including our office, will talk with you for free and can evaluate whether you have rights here that are being violated.

Best of luck,
Tim L Eblen
www.eblenfreed.com

I am concerned about this spreading concept of "pay for delete." Would you care to share who exactly told that, in exchange for a sum of money, a debt buyer has the authority or the ability to guarantee that a Credit Reporting Agency will "delete" a truthful and accurate business record from their files?
Sorry this just sounds like something a scammer would say. How great would it be from someone with multiple derogatory line items on their credit report to just pay a little bit of money - and *poof* - that item just goes away?

I am not your attorney unless you and I have signed a retainer agreement. What I am saying is not legal advice. Do not act on this information without engaging my services, this is for consideration only.

Cutting to the chase, based on how you share the facts, this may well be resolved by having an attorney call them with you in the Office giving authorization for same; perhaps a 3 way conference call. This is the practical and legal way, though there are more 'traditional' ways of addressing this which cost much more, and in my experience aren't as effective. Best wishes,
~Chad

Go see a NACA member in your area. This is a strange story