Unused expired H1b want to change status from L1B to h1

Asked over 1 year ago - Covington, KY

I have been working for an employer A since last 8 years. I am inside the US on a L1B visa through employer A from (Nov-2007-June 2013) and also will be completing 5 yrs on L1.So my employer A have decided to apply H1 for me in 2014 CAP, so that I can go back to India and again have to come in Oct.but I have an unused expired H1b petitions for 2009 CAP which got expired nov-2012 from employer B.
Can I ask my employer A to use that unused expired H1b petitions from employer B to apply for CAP-EXEMPT H1B for an immediate start after June because I don’t have any visa to stay after June 2nd.

Any help is really appreciated !

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you actually worked for the H1B employer then yes.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . To be cap-exempt, you must have been in H-1B STATUS within the last six years. Your posting indicates you were not.

    Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Sean P. Wickens


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Given the complexity of your situation and the potential consequences, you will need to consult with experienced local counsel to obtain the best answer. Best of luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,708 answers this week

3,002 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,708 answers this week

3,002 attorneys answering