Unused capital losses and year end bonus taxes

Asked about 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

about 10 years ago, i lost big on stocks. I could only use 3k losses every year, but had forgotten to do it on my taxes after the first year. I am expecting a large bonus this year, can i retroactively use the losses that were used vs the bonus received this year?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Evan A Nielsen

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can amend the tax returns for the prior years that you didn't take the $3K deduction on but you can't apply capital losses (stock) directly against orginary income (bonuses). However, there may be other ways of repositioning the income and loss sources to accomplish what you're looking for. Holler if you want to discuss further.

    Good luck.

    Evan A. Nielsen

    1255 W. Colton Ave., #506 | Redlands, CA 92374
    Main: 909.363.4658 | Fax: 480.304.3211

    Mention this post for a free consultation

    Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California. The information provided here is for educational... more
  2. Christopher Michael Larson

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The problem is that a bonus, even if it is stock, will be treated initially as ordinary income as it is earnings. Once it is taxed as ordinary income upon receipt, it becomes a capital asset with a basis equal to the amount of ordinary income recognized. If it increases after that point, the gains will be capital and can be offset by the losses. But Section 83 of the Internal Revenue Code basically makes the receipt of property for services ordinary income, even if it is stock.

    Christopher Larson
    Tax Lawyer
    Tax Attorney
    Tax Attorney Bellevue
    Tax Attorney Everett
    Tax Attorney Federal Way WA
    Tax Attorney Bothell WA
    Seattle IRS Contact
    IRS Offer In Compromise
    Payroll Tax Attorney
    Washington State DOR Tax Audit
    IRS Tax Lien Removal
    IRS Tax Levy Release
    Tax Help Seattle

  3. Steven J. Fromm

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . First you can only amend open years, generally 3 years, to apply the carryover. Second, for this year the year end bonus is ordinary income so the most it could be offset by is $3,000 of capital losses.

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia... more

Related Topics

Small business taxes

Small business taxes include state and federal income taxes and employment taxes, self-employment taxes, and excise taxes.

Small business income tax

Filing an income tax return is required for all businesses except partnerships, which file an information return instead.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,401 answers this week

3,556 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,401 answers this week

3,556 attorneys answering