Skip to main content

Until when is my husband required to pay child support?

Miami Beach, FL |

His exwife filed a "Reset on supplemental petition for modification and reset on counter petition" back in 2009 and because of miss-communication issues with my husband's then lawyer, he missed the court date. They granted her petition and the payment section of it reads as follow:

"The Obligor shall pay $200.00, weekly for CHILD SUPPORT, commencing October 4, 2009, until the minor child(ren) should die, marry, become emancipated, or is/are otherwise no longer (a) dependent child(ren) pursuant to sections 409.2554 (2) and 743.07 (2) Florida Statutes."

Does that means the ex wife can request child support until the kids get married? I ask because the oldest daughter will be 18 in April next year and will graduate from high school next year as well. Can she extend years of child support?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Note that it says "OR" the other provisions of the law cited about dependent children being defined. That definition probably includes turning 18. Note however, that if there are any arrears, those are still owed even after the child is no longer a dependent.

Every legal matter is fact specific, and there are often nuances in every case. This is intended for comment only, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


No, support will terminate when she graduates from high school next year.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


The child support should end when she graduates high school.

Legal disclaimer: Ms. Braaten's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an family law attorney.


Generally, until the children turn 18. Sometimes that gets extended depending on various factors.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.


If your child has special needs, the support could be extended.

You can reach the Law Office of Richard S. Chizever, P.A. at (305) 974-1580 or Richard S. Chizever, Esq. is a family law attorney licensed in the state of Florida. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Richard S. Chizever or the Law Office of Richard S. Chizever, P.A. and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.


One is only obligated to pay child support until child reaches 18 years of age UNLESS child is still in high school then it is extended until the child is 19 years of age. Some children will marry at a very young age and if the child marries under the age of 18, child support stops. Emancipation means the child went in front of a court and petitioned to make their own decisions and for all legal purposes, be deemed an adult before actually reaching the age of 18 years.


When the child graduates from high school, noting that is seems the child does not have a disability that would continue to make them considered a dependent.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer