Unpaid medical bills handed to collections (for a visitor). Could that affect chances of getting another US visitors visa?

Silver Spring, MD |

My father has some unpaid medical bills from a hospital in Maryland that were the result of a medical emergency during his last visit to the States. The bills have been recently turned over to a collection agency. Will not paying this bill affect his chances of obtaining a US visitors visa in the future?

1. If the bills are not astronomical, he should pay them as anything may affect the ability to get a visa.

This answer is not intended to replace a consultation with an attorney and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not contact me expecting additional free advice. If you contact me privately, I will email you an invoice for a consultation and will advise you only after the invoice is paid. Thank you.

2. Probably not, unless he also overstayed his visa. Seeking emergency medical care is not a crime. Neither is a civil lawsuit.

The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.

3. Many foreign countries will pay the bills for their citizens who need medical care in the US. You may want to check with his embassy.

The legal analysis of any situation depends on a variety of factors which cannot be properly represented or accounted for in a response to an on-line question. Any answer, discussion or information is intended as general information only, is not intended to serve as legal advice or as a substitute for legal counsel, and should not be relied upon in making any decision. If you have a question about a specific factual situation, you should contact an attorney directly.