Skip to main content

Unmarried son approved for I-130 petition. What to do next?

Houston, TX |

Am a F1 student came here in 2006 and my visa expired last two years ago. Please I would like to know if my father who is recently now a US citizen petitioned for me as a relative(am the son ) at that he filed he was a green card holder. Also I just received a letter from the UCSIS that my i-130 has been approved. The details are below:

RECEIPT DATE: 09/15/2010
PRIORITY DATE: 09/12/2010
NOTICE DATE: 04/10/2012

Notice type: Approval notice section: Unmarried son or daughter (21 or older) of LPR, 203(a)(2)(B)

My question is please what do I do next / whats the next step? or should I just wait 30 days to hear from the Nvc? When do I file for adjustment of status ? Also should my dad send a letter to the NVC since he is now a US citizen? And what is this priority date thing? Please help me!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Since you are out of status, you need to consult with an attorney


I agree with my colleague. You are out of status, and a mistake can easily result in a denial and removal/deportation proceedings being initiated against you. You do not want to do this without help from a qualified attorney.

Dhenu Savla
SwagatUSA, LLC
Free Phone Consultations Available


The next step depends on whether you are still in valid F-1 status. If you are, the next step is for you to wait for your priority date to become current. If you are not, the next step is to wait for both a change in the law and for your priority date to become current.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer