Unlicensed and unauthorized use of vehicle involved in accident?

Asked 9 months ago - Temple, TX

My daughter recently damaged the front end of my Dodge Ram. She is unlicensed and uninsured as well. I do not allow her to operate my vehicles. Well, she went and took my vehicle anyways without me knowing and ended up hitting a pole, causing damages in excess of $5,000. I reported it to my insurance and they are still investigating the liability of the claim. Basically, they are trying to get out of paying. The accident was on 9/09/2013 and its been almost 2 months. Should I get legal representation?

1. Richard Kurt Arbuckle

Pro

7

Answered . If they aren't going to pay for the damages, your choices are to sue them in jp court yourself or hire a lawyer. The first is probably cheaper, but the second is more likely to get it settled.

2. Robert C. Slim

6

Answered . When you say "liability claim," I must assume you are talking about damages other than to your vehicle (i.e., the pole). If you told the insurance company the same story you told us in this forum, then I am not surprised they are investigating. Your liability coverage follows the vehicle only for drivers who are operating the vehicle with your consent or permission. It sounds like your daughter was operating the vehicle without your permission. Likewise, your insurance company might deny coverage for the liability claim.

As for the damages to your own vehicle, that should be covered under your collision coverage (if you had it).

Pro

7

Answered . If you are asking a forum of lawyers whether you should get a lawyer, you might not be surprised that most would reply in the affirmative.