Unite me with my partner.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

I am an asylee living in the US,I was granted asylum 3 months ago.My fiancee lives in Europe as an asylee too.We could not get married back in the Middle East because we were prosecuted for being atheists.As a result,I could not list her as my spouse in my asylum application because I have not documents to support that.I have only photos that proves our relationship and I can get letters from friends to testify that our relationship is genuine.

We are separated for 3 years now and it is very hard.Waiting to get a green card and then filing for her as my spouse can take 4 more years.

Can she get derivative asylum status considering our exceptional circumstances ?

Is there any other legal remedy ?

Note: her mother is a US citizen and her father and brother both are green card holders.

1. Theresa Cay Langford

2

Answered . I have changed your practice category to Immigration. First and foremost do not discuss this fact situation online or with anyone again, except in a confidential setting with your immigration lawyer. You have a delicate situation. Her mother is a USC and can petition for her, and when she arrives, you can have a marriage ceremony in the US. I expect other immigration attorneys will now suggest alternatives as well.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . You can't help her ... directly.

She should consult with an immigration attorney to discuss whether or not her mother can help.

3. Heather Roberts Majam

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Consult an attorney to see if her mother can apply for her.