Uninsured motorist claim

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I was involved in an accident where the other driver failed to stop. I sustained some bruising and pain in neck and shoulder. Some xrays and cat scan showed no fracture. But I still have pain moving my arm. My auto insurance adjuster suggested going through my auto medical coverage which has $5000 coverage for medical expenses. But as I have uninsured motorist coverage is that not the best approach as my expenses will probably surpass the $5000. Also would my premium not go up if I claim through medical coverage instead of uninsured motorist? I have been out of work for 10 days so who pays for that? Also what about pain and suffering?

1. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

10

Answered . You are asking two questions. One you ask is whether you can use UM instead of med pay. It's apples and oranges. Med pay pays your medical bills regardless of what happens up to the limit of $5K. UM ONLY kicks in if hte other driver is uninsured.

IF the other driver was insured, send the bills through your medical insurance or med pay, depending upon the limits available, and then pursue the liability of the other driver's coverage. IF not insured, then you can pursue UM.

Please don't try to handle this yourself--lots of moving parts!

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

2. Burton A. Padove

Pro

10

Answered . Uninsured motorist does not kick in unless the other driver does not have insurance. Your submission does not specifically state that there is no third party insurance. Assuming that there is a third party insurer, you can try using your health insurance and reserve the med pay for deductibles and co-pay. Also, assuming that your uninsured does apply, the payments can be delayed and your credit damaged. Medical payments coverage is designed to provide for quick payments to your medical provider and only requires that you are injured in your car. Uninsured motorists requires a lot more. Pain and suffering and lost wages would be covered if uninsured applies as it is far too complicated to address here. You really need to see an attorney in person. Most will provide a free consultation.

3. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

9

Answered . If you have group health insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid, you should put your medical care through that insurance. They MAY require that you use your own med pay first. If you are injured badly enough to merit this much treatment, please consult a personal injury attorney now. I cannot tell you how many times a client comet to me months later with their case beyond repair. Good luck.

4. Eric J. Parker

9

Answered . I think you are right. Assuming that the driver that hit you did not have insurance, you may want to make a claim. Keep in mind that you can make a claim for medical payments and still make a claim for uninsured motorist benefits as well. They would get a credit for anything they pay, but you can make both. For the uninsured motorist benefits claim, I agree with the others - you will need a lawyer - probably sooner rather than later.

5. Christopher Steven Hoffmann

8

Answered . The questions you have regarding the increase in premiums after a car accident claim is better left to your insurance agent. In Illinois, you can make a claim under your uninsured motorist coverage for your injuries, medical, pain and suffering, lost wages, and etc... You will have to check your policy for the UM Limits, but it is over $5,000.00. Whether you pay medical through health insurance or medical payments coverage in Illinois, in general, those amount must be repaid from the settlement. Call a local auto accident or personal injury attorney for help.

6. Steven Mark Sweat

Pro

9

Answered . Uninsured motorist claims can be tricky and it is always better to retain an attorney even if dealing with your own carrier.

7. Matthew Charles Price

Pro

8

Answered . It sounds like your medical damages are likely severe enough to justify hiring an attorney. You should hire a local personal injury attorney to advise you on the coverage issues as those issues can be complex and can differ greatly depending on the particular policy.

Pro

8

Answered . You would always want a local attorney to resolve a UM claim. Contact one of the lawyers in your state above.

9. Stephen Patrick Rapp

Pro

5

Answered . Consider getting a lawyer. Many an injured person makes the mistake trying to handle their own claim. Even with hour own insurance company, you need to understand that the information you get may not be the best as applied to your own situation. If you have health insurance, you may be able to submit your bills and also benefit from medical payments coverage as another attorney stated. Far too often, if medical payments coverage is used, health providers get paid retail, rather than the rates though your health insurance coverage. How you handle the bills can have a direct relationship to your final recovery. Just like you generally can't be your own mechanic, domt take chances, get the benefit of legal representation early on before statements are given or authorizations are signed. Whether dealing with the other driver's insurance company or even your own, if injured, obtain prompt medical care and get a lawyer. Don't ever thing that an agent or an adjuster for your own company can give you legal advice like your own personal injury attorney. I see many cases where people call all around or they to handle their own cases only to come in my office after matters are complicated. If you are injured, get the advice of a lawyer who handles injury cases. Many cases are taken on a contingent fee that allows you to have the benefit of legal representation and a fee is based on a percentage of the recovery. In my opinion, all insurance companies prefer not to have someone represented by a lawyer. I've even heard of cases where one's own agent tells the insured they don't need a lawyer. Why is this? The answer is easy. Lawyers are experienced in handling such claims and an unrepresented person is just that, unrepresented. Know and protect your legal rights if injured.

Stephen Patrick Rapp

"Legal Practice Concentrated in Personal Injury Law"