Uninhabitable living condition due to harmful mold, moved out immediately, best way to get rest of my rent back? Monthly lease.

Asked over 1 year ago - Orange, CA

Lease renews 1st of every month. Discovered harmful mold March 9 with a testing kit, on March 11 I got a Dr note writing that mold exposure was responsible for my health problems, said not to return to the house. Also got lab reports of swab samples I mailed of the mold. I immediately moved out (9th) and e-mailed the landlord. Landlord told me I'd have to wait 2 weeks for him to be back to look, no date of when it would be taken care of, no accommodations offered. He wants to keep remainder of March rent and end lease March 31, I moved into a new place on March 15 with all belongings.
What is the best way to get my rent back? Reasonable cost of replacement until unit habitable again? Reasonable loss to rental value from time it was usable? Warranty of habitability breached? Abandoned 9th.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Try and work something out with your landlord. If that does not work, go to small claims court or hire a landlord tenant attorney.
    You may also want to contact the health department about the mold.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,341 answers this week

3,280 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,341 answers this week

3,280 attorneys answering