Unfortunately, I filed a default before submitting a statement of damages re: P.I. case

Asked over 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

Is service of statement of damages still necessary?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

28

1

Answered . Yes, definitely. If this is a personal injury lawsuit, you the plaintiff need to first serve the statement of damages before seeking a default judgment. Statements of damages are used in personal injury and wrongful death cases in which plaintiff may not allege damages in the complaint. (Code Civ. Proc., § 425.11.)

In seeking a default judgment in California, the relief sought must be within the amount of prayer of complaint. “It is fundamental to the concept of due process that a defendant be given notice of the existence of a lawsuit and notice of the specific relief which is sought in the complaint served upon him.” (Marriage of Lippel (1990) 51 Cal.3d 1160, 1166.)

Pro

22

Answered . Yes, as plaintiff needs to first serve the statement of damages before seeking a default judgment.

Lassen Law Firm Personal Injury Lawyers Philadelphia. www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com Phone 215-510-6755.
  3. Michael Grennier

18

1

Answered . Yes. You must serve the Statement of Damages.

4. Chad Guevara Boonswang

18

Answered . The plaintiff needs to first serve the statement of damages before seeking a default judgment.

Boonswang Law Firm 1-877-258-3083
  5. John K Lassen

18

Answered . Plaintiff needs to first serve the statement of damages before seeking a default judgment.

John Lassen 1-877-252-4630
  6. Norman Gregory Fernandez

Pro

16

Answered . In California it is unlawful for an attorney to aid a non attorney in the practice of law. I have to assume you are a non attorney seeking aid in the practice of law.