Unethical behavior by a judge

Lindenhurst, NY |

Please name some examples of unethical behavior by a judge that the supervising judge can correct him on?

1. I think the entire universe of potentially unethical behavior by judges and lawyers is pretty broad, which is why we operate by so many ethical rules. Most lawyers here on avvo.com will be better equipped to tell you whether a particular behavior is unethical, and are more likely to answer that question than give you a myriad number of hypothetical examples of unethical behavior, which might not even apply to your situation.

But, if you're interested in an academic exercise, here is the canon of Judicial Conduct for New York judges: http://www.nycourts.gov/rules/chiefadmin/100.shtml

Most judges are lawyers, so they would also have to abide by the New York Code of (Lawyer) Professional Responsibility (http://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/ny/code/NY_CODE.HTM) but note that a judge isn't an advocate, so many of these rules are inapplicable in a judge's official capacity.

I can be reached at (913) 735-9320. These answers do not constitute legal advice, because legal advice is paid for. These answers are, instead, practical suggestions for dealing with legal problems, and provided for informational purposes as a free public service. Any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. Since suggestions to legal questions are usually fact-dependent; my answers are general and based on the facts as you describe them and necessarily includes assumptions. More specific answers can be provided only after researching the appropriate law and a comprehensive consultation in which all relevant facts are disclosed. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. Until both a retainer agreement is executed and we have a consultation, I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Moreover, I cannot be your attorney unless you are located in Missouri, the only state in which I am licensed. If you are not in Missouri, please consult an attorney in your state for assistance, as my advice may be incorrect or incomplete.

Professional ethics topics