Unethical attorney.... or so I beleive.

Asked over 2 years ago - Marlton, NJ

I mean no disrespect to any attorney on here, however, if I am reporting my attorney for unethical issues, should I let them kno

I am receiving bills from my attorney and I beleive there were unethical practices that I would like looked into. I am receiving bills (case is over). Should I make them aware of this or just ignore the bills to i hear from the bar association?

1. Thomas Devlin Begley III

Pro

8

Answered . No disrespect taken. If someone is engaging in a pattern of behavior which is unethical, it should be reported. Before reporting the matter, I would suggest that you contact the attorney regarding the bills. Sometimes there is a reasonable explanation and the matter can be resolved amicably. If it cannot be, you have two means of recourse. First, you may file an ethics complaint. It may result in disciplinary action against the attorney. Second, you may file an action for fee arbitration. That will resolve any fee dispute. You may do both. Good luck.

2. Benjamin G Kelsen

Pro

6

Answered . Respectfully, I would suggest speaking with the attorney as it may be that there was a billing error or that he can explain what occurred. Even if you do plan to go ahead with the filing of a complaint, take the high road and let him know.

I

3. Steven J. Fromm

3

Answered . Both attorneys offer sound advice. You should give this attorney a chance to explain and if your concerns are valid he may respond accordingly. This could resolve the matter.

Listen, most attorneys really try to keep clients happy and feeling that their fees are warranted. Most attorneys do not want dissatisfied clients. So talk with the attorney and really lay out your concerns and your objections to the bill. A good attorney will work with you if you have a valid complaint.

If this fails then of course you can pursue the harsher and more involved alternatives discussed.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is