Unemployment Appeal Michigan

Asked over 4 years ago - Grand Rapids, MI

I was terminated on the basis I exceeded company policy of 5 "write ups". I was unaware of any policies, never even recieved a write up and never received a handbook with policies in it. I have asked several other employees this as well and they have not received anything with policies. I have contacted them regarding a copy of my personnel file and a copy of the company policies. I have sent certified letters of request. They are still refusing. When this goes to the hearing, can I bring up the fact they refuse to show any proof for write ups or policies?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Thomas A. White

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . One of the disqualifying events is if "misconduct" as defined in the statute occurred. An example of misconduct would be theft or insobordination. However, what you describe by itself is not enough to say misconduct occurred but it may be depending on what is in the write ups. My suggestion is to contact a lawyer who can help you get the employment record and to handle the MESC Appeal. You may not think you can afford an attorney to represent you but it may save you two years worth of unemployment benefits.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,272 answers this week

2,875 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,272 answers this week

2,875 attorneys answering