Undocumented immigrant flying domestically

11003 |

Hello, I'm planning to fly from LA to Chicago soon. I wanted to know if undocumented immigrants are permitted to fly domestically? I have my country's passport and I have a approved I - 130 petition and now waiting for my visa number (GC Spouse). I wanted to know if this is too risky and would it jeopardize my case.

1. No, flying domestically will not be too risky in your situation if you have a valid national passport with a current photo that you can use to cross the TSA security lines. (There is absolutely no need to show your I-130 receipt, etc.,as first of all that does not establish your legal right to be present in the US and second TSA personnel does not understand (or care) what an I-130 is.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. You should not a have a problem flying with your passport.

Attorney Jennifer Ahn's answer is to provide general information only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. The content of this answer is not intended to substitute accurate legal advice, which is relevant to all the facts and circumstances of your specific case. This answer does not create an Attorney-Client relationship.

3. If you have a valid passport you should be okay.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been handling criminal defense and personal injury cases for over 17 years. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails, is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Marriage and prenups topics